from the Top
1 - What is the best way to get out of irons if I have
messed up a tack?
Anderson Said: “Simple - Just don't do it !! There is
no fast way out of it and once you are there your race
is over” I can already see a follow-up question coming.
Stenhouse gave a more detailed answer; “There are several
things that you can use to get you sailing again.
- the Sail, this can be pulled to windward to push the
bow round, backed to leeward to reverse out or trimmed
to sail forwards.
- the hull shape, this can be used to steer the boat
in the skiff it over rides the rudder at low speeds
- Centre of Effort, use this is like a windsurfer it
is the relationship between the rig foils and you
- Rudder, get better with this and you wont be in irons
in the first place
- Kinetics - the boat will move in relationship to how
- Rig settings - this can be used to make tacking easy
i.e. rake up, doownhaul on ,outhaul on, kicker off and
board slightly raised. this isn’t so fast in a straight
a combination of these will get you going quicker.
Back the sail to leeward heel to leeward helm to leeward
trim forward to reverse out of irons to beam reach.
Then trim the sail in, heel to windward, bear away step
out on the wire keep trim forward until rudder gains